Sunday, September 19, 2010

Days are days

I have had one hell of a week. Monday, the most dreaded day of the week for most, was, as it is, the best day of them all for me. Tuesday was beginning the downhill cycle and, as with any steep decline, it was fast and furious. Tuesday rolled into Wednesday and Wednesday into the Thursday all the while perpetuating the spinning madness into a horrific cyclone. With each passing day, the hope was for the next to be better. Friday, I thought, would offer reprieve but, alas, I was wrong. On my way home that evening, I noticed the temperature gauge on my car kept creeping to up to "hot". Thinking I needed coolant, I bought some and proceeded to pour it into the wrong place in my car. (Well, I had Jordanne pour it in there. Luckily she is smarter than me and realized that where I was telling her pour it was the wrong place! Turns out where I wanted to pour is an overflow for coolant...who knew?!) To top off this blunder of a week, I was informed by a friend that in her opinion I wasn't being a good friend to her. Moments after I crossed the finish line, I read the text and ended the JDRF walk in tears.

On the brink of losing my sanity, I did what most people do in moments of distress, I called my Mama. She listened patiently as I sobbed in her ear about events and people she knows nothing about. After releasing a deep sigh I could tell she too was getting emotional. She then offered, "Melanie, days are days." I wasn't exactly sure what she meant by this so I just listened. She went on to explain that many years ago, when Tiff, Brooks and I were little ones, she was having a extremely rough day. Brooks, my baby brother, tried to comfort Mama. As she recounted her horrible day (kid friendly version 7.0) he looked into to her eyes and said, "Mama, days are days." What Brooks reminded my Mom of is that days are just that...days. Yep, today was a bad, nasty, ugly, horrible, rotten, stinkin' day but, if you're lucky, tomorrow you will get to see the dawn of another. It seems simple, I know, but, in the midst of my heartache, I found comfort in my brother's words as well. (This event meant so much to Mama that she had the phrase tattooed on her lower back by none other than Brooks.)

My weekend did turn out to be pretty good despite it's rough start. I completed Saturday with a new hair cut and color, an hour long massage and a 45 minute facial. Not too shabby!! As a new week approaches, I am well aware of the many challenges already headed my way but I am determined to grant each day the grace that is bestowed to me each morning. And if I run into a bad one (which I am certain I will) then I will remind myself of my brother's words...days are days.


Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment